Monday, June 8, 2009

More about "Medical Care"

Interestingly, shortly after I posted "Health Care or Medical Care?" the very same topic came up in the book I am currently reading.
I have been using the terms health and medical as though they are interchangeable, but they are not, and I should not. Health care emphasizes primary prevention and covers a wide range of life activities, many of which have little to do with doctors and hospitals. Medical care is what the current health care system provides--secondary and tertiary care that employs technology for screening, allopathic medicines, and surgery. It would take a lot more than reimbursement plans granting universal access to care for us to have a national health care system. At best, at the present moment the United States might develop a national medical care system.
This is actually from the 1995 book, Bearing Meaning: The Language of Birth, which I previously mentioned wanting to read. Thanks to my sister-in-law, I am currently reading it! (birthday present).

--
Molly
CfM Blogger

No comments: