Friday, September 18, 2009

Ohio Homebirth Case

It has taken me a little while to post about this, but I wanted to share this post from the Ohio Families for Safe Birth blog about a homebirth family who was charged with child endangerment after having their second child at home (they called 911 several hours after the birth because of a concern about the mother--the baby is, and was, fine).

Situations like this are one reason while activists in Ohio are working midwifery licensure--"If this family’s choice of care provider and location for birth were legally recognized, I don’t think they would be in this situation."

This case hasn't gotten much attention that I'm aware of (a google search didn't turn up anything much more than the blog post referenced above).

--
Molly
CfM Blogger

1 comment:

Katie Carrick said...

I can't find the article.. This is extremely disturbing to me. Punishing women for making intuitive, and faithful judgments about their births is unacceptable in "The land of the free and the home of the brave.."

The paternal model of women's care has given rise to the ultimate form of sexism which attacks women at their base, motherhood.

I view this case as a serious violation of women's rights.