Friday, July 11, 2008

Items of Interest

I wanted to post about a couple of items of interest that have come to my attention this week. One is that BOLD Founder Karen Brody has a great blog. I just discovered it yesterday and had such a good time reading through all her posts. BOLD rocks! I've never actually seen the play, but I've read so much about it and looked at many great pictures. I really hope to see it myself one day. I also learned from her blog that a book version is being released. I'm an avid reader and so I'm certain I will be reading it!

Secondly, I got a newsletter yesterday with an advertisement in it for the Midwives Alliance of North America's (MANA) conference in Traverse City, MI this year. I adore the logo for this conference. It is very cool. You may not be able to see in the picture, but surrounding the woman are tons of phrases using the word "push"--such as, "don't get pushed around" and "push for change" and "push your baby out" and "push together" and so forth. It is very neat . I'm sure the MANA conference will be a great learning opportunity for those who get to go this year.


Last, I wanted to share a link to an article I read this week by Henci Goer. The article was written in 2004, so it isn't "new news," but it was the first time I'd read it. Called "Humanizing Birth: a Global Grassroots Movement," it is a commentary/analysis of 24 grassroots birth-activist organizations around the world. CfM is one of the organizations. She looks at the goals of the organizations, obstacles to progress, achievements, etc. Her conclusion is that, "the blossoming and growth of each organization add to the critical mass that may one day bring about real change on a worldwide basis....giving some idea of the size, strength, and universality of the grassroots birth-activist movement..." I've been hearing more recently about the term "humanized birth" (instead of "normal birth" or "natural birth" or whatever. Humanized has a slightly different context and I find it an interesting term. I hope to post more about it sometime in the fairly near future) .

No comments: