Friday, August 29, 2008

It's Almost Labor Day!

And that means it is almost time for productions of Karen Brody's play, Birth, to begin all across the country. BOLD (Birth on Labor Day), was founded by Brody in 2006 and is based on a "theater for social change" model. Beginning in 2009, BOLD performances will be taking place all year, instead of only in the month of September. Brody also has a blog that I enjoy reading.

It looks like at least 38 cities are hosting performances of Birth in Sept, or early October, and 28 cities are holding BOLD Red Tent events at some point during the year. This makes my little activist heart sing!

One of my goals in life is to someday see, or organize, a BOLD event in my own community!

While perusing the BOLD website I came across a link to a new program that I was previously unaware of--Earth Birth: A Global Women's Health Collective. Establishing birth clinics in Africa and training traditional midwives to provide holistic health care is the goal and there is a pilot program in Uganda serving the "child mothers," girls who were abducted from their homes, raped, and made into the "wives" of soldiers.

No comments: