Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Jennifer Block Articles

I've been out of town for a while, so I'm a little behind in mentioning some new articles by Jennifer Block that were published recently.

On RealityCheck she wrote about birth and medical care reform: Where's the Birth Plan? In the article, she points out: "A new economic analysis forecasts savings of $9.1 billion per year if 10 percent of women planned to deliver out of hospital with midwives. (Right now, just one percent do). If America is serious about reform, midwifery advocates are saying, 'Hey, how about us?'"

And on Babble, Block wrote a thought-provoking article called Birth Wars: Who's really winning the homebirth debate. There is a sort of "companion" article on the same site, Pushing Back, that takes a critical look at whether the natural childbirth movement has "gone too far."

--
Molly
CfM Blogger

1 comment:

Enjoy Birth said...

I had read and enjoyed The Birth Wars post and wrote an analogy to it on my blog.
http://enjoybirth.wordpress.com/2009/08/04/restaurant-wars-and-birth-wars/

I hadn't read the other one there, so thanks for bringing it to my attention.