- Letters of support to committee chairs or other relevant governmental bodies
- Facts and information
- Fact Sheets
- Reviews: books, video, etc.
- Handouts and one-pagers, customized to the needs of the state.
- Evidence backup in the form of articles and studies
- Advice on strategy and testimony
Statement on the Licensure of Certified Professional Midwives (CPM)
2015 Annual Meeting Report
Additionally, US MERA Legislative Committee is developing a consensus statement outlining principles for model midwifery legislation and regulation using the Delphi research process. The consensus statement will serve as a complementary document to the statement on legislative language.
- Acts as advisors
- Reviews proposed bills
- Travels to states to help lobby if asked.
- Helps craft handouts and FAQs for use with legislators (NARM has several general handouts, but many are crafted based on the current issues/needs in a specific state.)
- Offers a Legislative Workshop
Resources and Handouts
- Principle support provided through regional NACPM chapters
- Available as a speaker at midwifery associations and other meetings
- Customized support for chapters working on regulatory issues
- Chapter Collaboration Calls where legislative issues can be discussed
- State Legislation and Policy webinar series
- Provide support for CPMs in states when federal action affects regulatory issues on the state level (For example, in collaboration with ACNM, NACPM reached out to Centers for Medicare and Medicaid (CMS), asking for more specific and helpful guidance from CMS to the states about implementation of the birth center provisions in the Affordable Care Act.)
- An Overview of State Licensure for CPMs
US MERA: How to Put it to Use for CPMs
MAMA Campaign: A New Foundation for Federal Recognition of CPMs
New Legislative Hotline
- Support and contact with state affiliates where bills are being introduced to provide guidance and advice on implementing US MERA language/agreements
- Help with conceptualization of bills and drafting language
- Assistance and advice regarding state-level lobbyists
- Strategy and guidance
- Data gathering and evidence support
- System to track information on bills and regulatory changes (last year tracked over 2000 bills and regulatory changes)
- System to have supporters contact state or federal legislators, which also allows for forwarding of emails and tracking