May 9th kicks off the first International Birth Wisdom Week (the women at Independent Childbirth are planning an exciting cyber birth expo! Make sure to check their blog for updates). This is an exciting event and I will be posting more about it, so stay tuned!
May is International Doula Month too! DONA International offers these ideas of how to celebrate:
- Write an article for a local publication or send a press release to your local media.
- Host a free doula info night at a library or community center to let parents know about your services, which might also be a great reason for your local press to do a story on doulas.
- Have a movie night for parents and/or doulas. Show the latest movies, such as "Orgasmic Birth," "The Business of Being Born" or "Pregnant in America," or revisit some of the classics.
- Create a birthing circle where women can share their birth stories to support each other and/or heal from their birth trauma.
- Organize a networking day for local doulas to meet, network and support each other with new ideas and co-opetition.
- Host an at-home spa party for local doulas.
- Put together info packages that hospitals and birth centers can hand out to expectant parents and/or laboring mothers with suggestions for position changes and comfort measures.
And, of course, Mother's Day is recognized on May 10th! Enjoy all the celebrations!