Saturday, March 21, 2009

Orangutan Birth

Some time ago I wrote several posts about orangutan birth. Today, coincidentally, I got a link to a YouTube video of a lovely, undisturbed birth of a baby orangutan. It was interesting to see the parallels between this birth and human births without interference (I will "warn" you that the mama orangutan eats the membranes and other birth accompaniments, which, based on the comments box, some people may find unnerving). I did wish the mama had a little bit more straw with which to make a little "nest" for herself!

In totally unrelated media, I read an article today about the Baby Boomlet. As we have heard, more babies were born in 2007 than in any other year in U.S. history. The focus of media coverage of the recent birth stats seems to be heavily on this "baby boom" and also on the teen pregnancy rate, instead of on the ever-increasing cesarean rate.

--
Molly
CfM Blogger

No comments: