Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Articles

This week I finished reading a wonderful new book called The Blue Cotton Gown (more about this soon). It is a memoir by a CNM who runs a women's health practice with her husband, an OB-GYN. They do not attend births anymore because of malpractice insurance rates and one of the substories in the book is also about their fear of lawsuit. The same day I finished reading it, I came across a relevant and interesting article on EmpowHer, Women's Health Online about malpractice insurance rates closing birth centers: How Did Birth Become so Compassionless?

I also wanted to share a link from the British Medical Journal on quality of life after vaginal and cesarean birth. Unfortunately for me, I can't read past the first page (the article is a pdf and opens up strangely for me). So, hopefully someone else can read it and tell me what the conclusions actually are! :)

Finally, I wanted to share that the Our Bodies, Ourselves: Pregnancy & Birth book I reviewed for CfM News last year was chosen by the Library Journal as one of the 24 best consumer health books of 2008. Congratulations OBOS!

Molly Remer
CfM Blogger

No comments: